Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What do I want to be when I grow up?

Tonight, after a fun Missions Class about Mexico (the kids packed bags of supplies for the mission trip this month), Nathan asked if we could go and see the band concert. Burgandy Road was helping kick off the Student Ministry's summer. There was pizza (and Dr. Pepper-love it!), really good group games (the students were really competitive tonight-and funny) and, of course, the B-A-N-D. :) They are going to be camp band at youth camp this summer.
Nathan LOVES music and I couldn't let him pass up an opportunity like this. So, we headed upstairs to sit with Daddy and watch the end of the show. Nathan sat perfectly still in Corey's lap and moved his head slightly every once in a while to the beat of the music. Kate, on the other hand, was moving her entire body! This girl is a "dancing queen!" :)
Afterwards, Corey asked Nathan, "Nathan, do you want to be in a band when you grow up?"
"No," was Nathan's reply. Corey and I just looked at each and smiled.
On the way home, I remembered it was "Free Rootbeer Night" at Sonic. I surprised Nathan by driving past our house to pick up a couple of them. As we drove home with our rootbeer floats in hand, I asked Nathan again (but in a slightly different way), "Nathan, if you were in a band what instrument would you play?"
He responded simply, "I don't want to be in a band."
"Oh," I said.
Then he said, "Mom, don't you remember what I said I wanted to do when I grow up?"
I did, but I wasn't sure if it had changed, so I asked him to remind me.
He said, "I want to be a doctor, a football player, a baseball player and what is that thing that dad does when he throws the ball...?"
"Basketball?"
"No, the thing where he wears the black and white striped pants..." (That is another story in itself that I WISH I had a picture for.)
"Oh, softball?"
"Yes! Softball, and soccerball and golf ball."
I said, "No wonder you don't want to be in a band...you are going to be much too busy taking care of sick people and running around catching and hitting balls all day. You probably would rather just go and watch a band play, huh?"
"Yes."
So, there you go...Nathan seems like he already has his life planned out. The pictures included in this post are of his "earlier" days (he is probably about a 1 1/2) at our apartment in San Marcos...looking as if maybe did want to be a band someday. I look forward to seeing Nathan get older and really figuring out what interests he does want to pursue. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be great!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! I especially love that he said golfball! :)
Tara

Jennifer said...

Oh, I know...that was one of my favorite parts of the whole conversation!

Marcella Gustafson said...

He definitely likes sports, doesn't he!